Monday, December 30, 2013

How Our First Elf on the Shelf Went

So this was the first year we had the creepy Elf on the Shelf. You can read about those adventures here.

It went...

...well, I'm glad she's gone.

There were so many times I would forget to move the thing. I'd suddenly remember when I was about to drift off to sleep. My eyes would snap open and I'd go, "CRAP!" This frightened my husband at first. Then he began to go, "The elf, huh?" And by the way, he still didn't get the point of the elf, and it weirded him out too. When I stuck it on the computer desk he begged me to remove it, saying it would distract him from his games.

I didn't do anything fancy with the elf. On Pinterest you'd have these mothers doing elaborate things...one elf was sitting beside a snowman made out of shredded paper....I was like, no, messy. My elf did stuff like this:



My daughter found it hilarious. This proves that you don't need fancy things to amuse the children. Stick your elf on top of a lamp. It works.

Our elf also did this:


She was shocked by what she was reading.

The elf also freaked out my son:



I think the only person who liked the elf was my daughter.

Then it came time for the elf to leave and I was like, "YAY!" I was browsing around Pinterest and saw people did GOING AWAY PARTIES for the elf? FOR THE ELF? No. Our elf wrote a letter to Natalie reminding her to be good. This was underlined many times. Natalie was sad to see her go.


Yes, Natalie is allowed to touch the elf. Remember, our elf is lax. This seemed to frighten the die hard elf people who were like, "SHE CAN'T TOUCH THE ELF!" Our elf doesn't care. Natalie was like, "I don't want to say goodbye! I love her!"

I snuck the elf away at night. She's back in her box, shoved deep into a plastic container.

Until next year...

Natalie is already talking about how she can't wait to see her friend Meredith.

"I hope she remembers me!" Natalie said seriously.

Oh man.

13 comments:

  1. haha, the photo of Tommy and the elf! "Flowers in the Attic" is a nice touch. I mean, they're YOUR kids. They must have inherited some or all of your great sense of humor so anything you do is enough for them. The Pinterest stuff? I honestly don't have time for that. Kudos to those families, but no. In our house, it would be similar to yours if we had an elf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a birthday elf now. My daughter saw it at Bed Bath and Beyond. It comes back on your child's birthday dressed as a cupcake and decorates a special chair for the birthday kid. I told my daughter Santa can't afford the airline ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A going away party?!?! Umm, no.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you won't be escaping the elf any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "those" are the moms I can't deal with... I'll stick with threats ... lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your elf read a book and sent a letter...way more than I did. I was all about the elf until I realized how much work it was.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sister did the whole elf thing too...no touching though...it was hard and my nephew was obsessed with the damn thing! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree - simple is better whether with an elf or anything!! Poor Natalie - so sad to say goodbye!! And, Tommy probably did a happy dance to see the elf leave!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did great! I love to hear how much enjoyment your daughter got out of the elf's visits. I think my kids are over it. Our elf lost his "magic" and didn't do a whole lot after my daughter expressed her growing disbelief. I don't think elf will come back next year. Which saddens me because I have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. From this post I've learned that elves are surprisingly creepy, and that I should avoid Pinterest. I mean, why put pressure on myself? Your kids would prefer you spend time with them, not on craft projects you don't even want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha. I love your animosity towards the Elf. I'm torn between being creeped out and thinking it is a unique idea. As for all those crazies over on Pinterest.. ain't nobody got time for that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That whole thing weirds me out.
    You should totally buck the system and let Natalie have it all year so she can play with it, and torment it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment!

Share This

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...